We tried to make some yeast-free cinnamon rolls this morning. What we ended up with were YUMMY cinnamon roll cookies. Here is the recipe:
2 cups flour (I used King Arthur, unbleached wheat white flour)
2 Tbsp sugar (I used organic crystals)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 Tbsp butter (divided into 2 parts)
3/4 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon (I used a little more)
1. Combine 4 Tbs softened butter, cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to spread.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
3. Add in the other 4 Tbsp of softened butter (You might need to use your hands to mix this in)
4. Stir in milk
5. Knead slightly to combine all ingredients into a ball
6. Roll the ball out into a rectangular shape about 1/4 inch thick
7. Spread the filling onto the pastry mix.
8. Roll up the rectangle and slice with a sharp knife into small slices (about 1/2 an inch thick)
9. Place the rolls onto a greased cookie sheet (I used a non-stick cookie sheet without greasing it first, and they stuck).
10. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 - 25 minutes.
11. Let cool about 15 minutes before removing from pan
12. Let cool completely on wire rack then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
They are pretty, look like cinnamon rolls, and YUMMY!
Yield 15 - 18 cookies depending on how you slice them.
- ▼ February (10)