Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Brown Rice and Ground Beef Casserole

I try not to waste anything. When I brown ground beef for spaghetti, tacos, etc, I put about 2 cups in a container to freeze. So, when I need a quick dinner, I just pull out the cooked ground beef from the freezer and add it to pasta sauce or create a casserole. Last night, we made one that was really good. Everyone except our 7 year old liked it. Oh well. Here is what I did:

In a casserole dish, I mixed together:
1 cup of brown rice (uncooked)
1 can of mushrooms (drained)
1 can of mixed vegetables (drained)
2 cups of boiling water
chili powder to taste...we like a lot
1 Tbs minced onions (dried...but you could use fresh)
Leftover ground beef from the freezer (thawed in microwave)
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese

Cover and cook at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I tasted it after one hour, and the rice was still not done.

If the rice is done, uncover, sprinkle cheddar cheese on the top, cook an additional 10 - 15 minutes to melt the cheese.

So YUMMY and so EASY! I'm all about yummy and easy! Enjoy....

If you try this, let me know what you thought and anything you did differently

No comments: