Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Baby Shower Gift

So, I was invited to a baby shower this weekend. It is funny...my 7 year old has asked me many times why it is called a shower, and why are we buying presents for a baby before he or she is born. Such very good questions, I tell him. I think it is called a shower because you "shower" the mom with gifts. I can't really give him a good answer for the other question.

I thought about what to get this new mom and her unborn baby. I decided that something practical would be best. I mean...I remember getting all of those cute little outfits that just hung in the closet for months. Really, how many moms dress their new babies in something different every day...I mean some thing cute and hard to put on and get off?! Don't get me wrong, I was grateful for EVERYTHING that everyone gave to me. But, I have learned through two boys that those cute little outfits go to waste. The ones that are my favorite are those that have to be ironed! Who irons an outfit for a 3 month old?!?!

O.K. I'm finished. What I set out to do in this post was to talk about things that I think make a good shower gift. Even if the mom thinks at the time the gifts are lame (she might if this is her first). After the baby is born, she will be grateful! So, here are my ideas:
  • DIAPERS - in as many sizes as you can afford and the better ones are good (Pampers, Huggies, Luvs, store brand...in that order)
  • Wipes - Again, as many as you can afford. Unless the mom is picky, I don't think brand really matters.
  • Mylicon Drops - These are a lifesaver when the baby has gas, and they are a bit expensive.
  • Diaper Rash Ointment - The best I have found in Desitin Creamy or Johnsons and Johnsons.
  • Medicine - Tylenol, Motrin. Again, these can be expensive.
  • Baby Washes, Powders, Lotions - Personally, I hate the baby powder smell, but I know some folks really like it. So, I like Aveeno and the Lavender scent by J & J. My other favorite, but it is a bit expensive is Burts Bees.
  • Storage - Baskets, plastic bins, etc.
  • Bibs - I found that I needed bibs. We went through SEVERAL a day.

So, those are my ideas. If you HAVE to buy clothes for someone, I mean we really do like to buy them...they are so cute, buy something functional. Get a pack of onesies or gowns or something like that. Unless the mom has specifically asked for blankets and clothes, she probably already has them. Folks come out of the woodwork to give you hand-me-downs when they find out someone is pregnant. Also, make sure the clothes are season appropriate and a variety of sizes. All children grow at different rates. My almost 2 year old wears a 4t! And, neither one of them ever wore Newborn size diapers!

My favorite gifts were when someone put together a basket or a bin with "supplies" in it. The items were useful, and I could use the basket to store things after I took out the gifts.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I'm late knowing you had a blog, Duh! But, I would like to suggest books, as a Baby shower gift. Savannah still has the book you gave us when she was born.