Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crowder Pea Chilli


I bought some fresh crowder peas from our local farmers' market on Saturday. I needed to do something with them. So, I created something. It is really good. Even the kids loved it.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (I used Ground Chuck from EarthFare)
1 can diced tomatoes
3 slices of dried tomatoes (chopped)that I bought at the farmers' market as well. You could use sun-dried tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
1 pint of crowder peas (of course, you could use frozen)
1.5 cups frozen corn
3-4 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
Chili powder to taste (I used probably around 4 Tbsp)
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Zattarans Cajun Seasoning (optional)

Brown ground beef with chopped garlic until done.
If using fresh crowder peas, cook ahead of time for about 30 minutes.
Add chili powder and cajun spices.
Add the chopped dried tomatoes and oregano.
Add the can of tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water.
Add frozen corn
Mix well.
Cook on low (low boil) for about 30 minutes.
Serve hot with Mexican cheese blend sprinkled on top.

No comments: